Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Imaging the Ocean by Stephanie O’Daly

I'm a PhD student at the University of Alaska Fairbanks and I'm sailing on the A20/A22 US Go Ship cruises. As a part of my research working under Dr. Andrew McDonnell, I'll be deploying an instrument attached to the CTD Rosette called an Underwater Vision Profiler (UVP). This instrument helps us understand carbon cycling in the global oceans, particularly the biological carbon pump. The biological carbon pump is one part of carbon cycling in the ocean where carbon dioxide in transformed into particulate organic carbon (like phytoplankton cells) through photosynthesis at the surface of the ocean. This organic carbon then can be consumed by bacteria or zooplankton or sink to deeper depths through the effects of gravity to deeper depths. Eventually nearly all the particulate organic carbon will be transformed back into carbon dioxide through respiration. However, the deeper the particulate organic carbon can sink in the ocean will result in the longer that carbon is stored away from the atmosphere. Understanding how carbon moves and is stored in the oceans is critical during this time of rapid climate change as a result of anthropogenic carbon dioxide emissions.

The UVP consists of a camera and tiny computer contained within a pressure case that can withstand pressure of up to 6000m of water. Additionally there are lights that illuminate a known volume of water. The camera takes an image every second while the CTD rosette moves down through the ocean to just above the sea floor. The tiny computer identifies where in the image there are particles and saves that information. The UVP tells us information on particle sizes and concentration for particles as small as one tenth of a millimeter up to a few centimeters in length. For larger particles, the computer saves a photo of the particle itself. When I'm back on land I'll use machine learning software to predict and validate particle type. Most particles will be detritus (or dead or dying material), some will be fecal pellets from zooplankton or tiny animals that live in the ocean. I also will be able to identify different types of zooplankton like crustaceans, sea snails, and worms. All of this information helps us better understand how the biological carbon pump functions and help us predict how those functions may change with further climate change.

It's really exciting to be partnered with the US Go Ship project as an ancillary project. It's only through recent improvements in technology that we can collect all of this information without using precious resources like water or time on cruises like the US Go Ship project. I'm looking forward to collaborating with the physicists and chemists who have been working on this project for decades as I'm working with new types of data. Additionally, the US Go Ship program is a great platform for this type of research as it is one of the few programs that samples such large swaths of the global oceans.



3 comments:

  1. I am here to give my testimony about Doctor babaiba who helped me.. i want to inform the public how i was cured from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) by salami, i visited different hospital but they gave me list of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and Valtrex which is very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedy on HERPES and i saw comment of people talking about how Doctor babaiba cured them. when i contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that i took for just 2 weeks and it seriously worked for me, my HERPES result came out negative. I am so happy as i am sharing this testimony. My advice to you all who thinks that there is no cure for herpes that is Not true just contact him and get @doctor.babaiba from Dr.babaiba healing herbal cure of all kinds of sickness you may have like
    #CANCER,
    #DIABETES,
    #HIV
    #AIDS,
    #Herpes
    #Std
    #URINARYTRACT #INFECTION,
    #CANCER,
    #IMPOTENCE,
    #BARENESS
    #INFERTILITY
    #DIARRHEA
    #ASTHMA
    #SIMPLEXHERPES #GENITAL
    #COLDSORE
    . he also cure my friend from cervical #cancer Email: drbabaibaherbalsolutiontemple@gmail.com OR
    WHATAPP +2348140046509 I am forever greatful ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting rib of Herpes virus wasn't easy, I came across Dr voodoo on how he
    has cured so many people from herpes and other illness so I decided to give
    him a try, now am permanently cured using the natural herbs medication and
    cleansing supplement sent by Dr voodoo no more herpes, contact Dr voodoo
    WhatsApp number +2348140120719 also e-mail him at:
    voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m here to testify about the great work Dr Uchegbu did for me. I have been suffering from (HERPES) disease for the past 5 years and had constant pain and headache, especially pains in my knees. During the first year, I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.This disease started circulating all over my body and i have been taking treatment from my doctor, few weeks ago i came across a testimony of one lady on the internet testifying about a Man called Dr Uchegbu on how he cured her from Herpes Simplex Virus. And she also gave the email address of this man and advised anybody to contact him for help for any kind of sickness that he would be of help, so I emailed him telling him about my (HERPES Virus) he told me not to worry that i was going to be cured!! Well i never believed it,, well after all the procedures and remedy given to me by this man few weeks later i started experiencing changes all over me as Dr Uchegbu assured me that i will be cured,after some time i went to my doctor to confirmed if i have be finally healed behold it was TRUE, So friends my advice is if you have such sickness or any other at all you can contact Dr Uchegbu via email druchegbuherbalcure@gmail.com Thanks once again Dr Uchegbu.

    ReplyDelete

Most popular