Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Day 16 by Ben Freiberger

This is the first blog post I have ever considered writing, and well outside my comfort zone, so here goes. Hi Mom.

My name is Ben Freiberger. In August of last year, I was hired on as a lab tech for Dr. Todd Martz at Scripps Institution of Oceanography. For this cruise, I am farmed out to the Oceanographic Data Facility to collect and run discrete oxygen samples. I am sailing on both legs, A20 from Woods Hole to the Virgin Islands, and the subsequent A22 back up to Woods Hole. I am enjoying my time here and feeling like I am finally getting in the swing of things. I am excited to look at the Virgin Islands from the R/V Thompson bubble, and am really hoping to get some fish on the boat sometime soon.

Last night, April 1st, we attached a mesh bag full of Styrofoam cups, a Styrofoam head, and a few Styrofoam easter eggs to the rosette. Then, they were sent on down to ~5800m. This is typically done one cast per cruise as a neat demonstration of the immense pressure at depth, and a welcome break to the monotony. Station 43 was chosen as the cups station because it is just about as deep as we will get on this cruise. I myself shrunk three Maruchan Instant Lunch cups, and one decorated cup. These will be my souvenir gifts for family and friends. I hope they think it's as cool as I do! I am hoping we have the opportunity to make a few more on the trip back up north.


 

 Another souvenir we got is a vial of salt. The folks in the galley asked for the extra water from the deepest bottles on the station 14 cast and boiled it down to salt crystals. This salt was then split into vials for scientists and crew to take as a memento. What a wonderful gift! I went ahead and took a taste of the stuff, and it is salty alright. I am hoping we will get a second vial on the trip back up north.



 

Finally, I would like to sincerely thank the crew of the R/V Thomas G Thompson for all their hard work. The folks in the galley, the deck department, the marine technicians, and the engine department work tirelessly to make sure things are going smoothly for the scientists and everyone else on board. The vast majority of this work goes on behind the scenes and seems, from the outside, to be somewhat thankless. I think it is important for them to know that their efforts do not go unnoticed. If any of the crew of this or any other research vessel ends up reading this, thank you for all your hard work!

1 comment:

  1. I was diagnosed with ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) last year september. My family doctor prescribed riluzole. riluzole was unable to help me, I have tried it again for the last 2 months with the same result. I am so fortunate that my progression seems to be very slow.
    A friend of mine introduced me to  DR OSO  Herbal medicine formula, then I purchased an ALS herbal remedy and it was sent to me. My life transformed after 2 weeks of usage. No more ALS till now…thanks DR OSO  .

    Email} drosohaberhome@gmail.com

    WhatsApp /call +2348162084839

    https://sites.google.com/view/drosohaberhome/

    His blog pagehttps://drosohaberhome.blogspot.com

    you can also email me for more information about DR oso via troyabl100@gmail.com ALL THANK TO DR OSO .

    ReplyDelete

Most popular