Monday, March 22, 2021

The world of the TGT from a greenhorn - by Paige Hoel

"You're gonna want to get the prescription strength seasickness meds."

Dr. Becker was passing along some sage wisdom on the first official A20 cruise meeting over Zoom this past December. Only as she was saying this did the gravity of this adventure begin to sink in

.

Figure 1. Steaming north on a beautiful day. Photo Credit: Paige Hoel

This is my first cruise on an oceanographic vessel. And it has been a long time coming.

I was four years old when my parents bought a pack of National Geographic documentaries on VHS. One of those documentaries followed Robert Ballard to the eastern Atlantic to find the shipwreck of the WWII era battleship Bismarck. I saw them piloting Alvin, a remotely operated vehicle (ROV) which bought real images of the seafloor up to the labs on the ship. I was amazed. I was obsessed. Once I turned 18 I began applying for cruise opportunities for undergraduates. Lots and lots of applications, lots and lots of rejections. And now, finally, 7 years later, I am aboard the R/V Thomas G Thompson (TGT)

Although I have nothing to compare it to, the first three days aboard the R/V Thomas G Thompson have proved to me that this boat is nothing but smart, funny, nonjudgmental, and kind people. All of the crew and scientists have a desire to pass along knowledge, and to introduce themselves while still adhering to the COVID rules aboard the ship. I am thankful to hear that I am not the only person new to this experience. I am also relieved to hear how so many of the scientist and crew have practically spent half of their lives on research vessels. I feel welcome and safe and excited.

Figure 2. Champion of the immersion suit Photo Credit: Paige Hoel

It is now our fourth full day aboard. I'm present, well medicated with seasickness meds, and heading the warnings of the crew and scientists. I am excited, I am ready to learn as much as possible, and I am ready (and already loving) taking a break from the real world. This is the TGT world now! In the TGT world the big news is instruments breaking or working well, how everyone is preparing for their shift adjusted sleeping schedules, how to turn off all of the data sucking things on your devises, and what the amazing galley is serving up for us at the next meal. I like this world.

Although its only been about four full days on the ocean, I have already learned a great deal.

1.     If you're going to the North Atlantic, heed Susan's advice and get some form of prescription strength seasickness meds. Even if you think you're good without them. Trust me.

2.     Slam your drawers shut, hear them click closed. Pretend there's a soul sucking demon in there and he will escape in the night if you don't latch that door shut.

3.     Prepare for the cruise as if you'll have absolutely no internet. You might have some, but you'll feel much better knowing if something happens you still have all the information/ entertainment you need.

4.     Sample order on a CTD rosette is important. Very important.

5.     Be careful if you choose to run on the treadmill in 15-20 ft swell. Probably best to not even attempt this.

6.     Go up to the bridge. Especially when its twilight. They love to explain the processes they go through and what everything means. They're also perfectly fine with you just standing there out of the way gawking at the view

7.     Plain cheerios and/ or chex is a perfectly acceptable meal when you're seasick

I wish I could tell my four-year-old self that we would be doing this one day. Heres to the bizarre commitment to postponing regular life for a life at sea! Heres to keeping the promises you made to yourself! Heres to a safe, fun, awesome month aboard the R/V TGT!

Figure 3. The almighty rosette. Photo Credit: Paige Hoel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most popular